- IE OCL P43/47
- 23 March 1826
Part of Charleville Forest Papers
Copy lease of that part of the lands of Spollanstown, otherwise Tullamore, bounded on the north by the Great Road from Tullamore, on the south by land in the possession of the Earl of Charleville, on the east and west by land in the Earl of Charleville’s possession. The premises contain 2 acres, 1 rood and 3 perches, situated at Spollanstown adjoining to the town of Tullamore, in the parish of Kilbride, barony of Ballycowan and King’s County. It is proposed to build a new gaol for the King’s County on the lands of Spollanstown provided a presentment has been duly passed by the grand jury for King’s County. The Earl is desirous to lend his aid to its erection before the presentment is passed, and proposes to demise to the commissioners appointed for the erection of the gaol and in trust for that purpose the above premises.
Now in consideration of the sum of 10s. paid to him by Lord Tullamore etc., he demises the premises unto Lord Tullamore etc. from the 1 May last during the term of 999 years, yielding the annual rent of 6d., if demanded, to be paid by two equal half-yearly payments on every 1 May and 1 November. With clause that if the rent remains unpaid within the space of 21 days, it will be lawful for the Earl of Charleville to enter into the premises and distrain and drive away same for satisfaction of the rent.
The further covenant with the Earl that they will not at any time convert or dispose of the said building to be erected for a gaol at Spollanstown for any other use or purpose whatsoever save as a county gaol. With provision that if the gaol is used or converted for any other purpose, then the demise will be null and void.
Bury, Charles William, 1st earl of Charleville