Accounts, legal documents, correspondence and marketing material relating to the foundation companies of the Williams Group, namely Tullamore Distillery, B. Daly & Co. Ltd., D. E. Williams Ltd., Irish Mist Liqueur Co. Ltd. and other associated companies.
UntitledDigitised collection of annual reports and rentals of the Geashill Estate, King's County sent by successive land agents to Lord Digby at his permanent residence in Dorset. Also includes two volumes of drawings depicting improvements made to labourers' cottages on the estate.
UntitledScrapbook containing photographs, drawings, colour illustrations, postcards, and newspaper cuttings relating to the Homan-Mulock family of Ballycumber House. Particular interest shown in horses and equestrian events locally and in England, with photographs from the Pytchley, Grafton and Bicester Hunts; racing at Punchestown; Moate horse show; and polo matches and gymkhanas at Ballycumber House. Many of the photographs are unidentified but there are some depicting Sheila Beddington and her younger brother Guy and their father, Claude Beddington. The scrapbook is attributed to E. Mulock which could be either (Frances) Ethel Homan Mulock or (Hester Nina) Enid Homan Mulock, but most likely the former due to the several instances of her children and husband in the photographs.
UntitledThe Jesuits bought Tullabeg in 1818 (dedicated it to St Stanislaus) and opened a preparatory school for boys destined to go to Clongowes Wood College, Kildare. St Stanislaus College gradually developed as an educational rival to its sister school. It merged with Clongowes Wood College in 1886. Tullabeg then became a house of Jesuit formation: novitiate (1888-1930), juniorate (1895-1911), tertianship (1911-1927) and philosophate (1930-1962). In 1962, it was decided that the students of philosophy should be sent abroad for study. Tullabeg subsequently became a retreat house and was closed in May 1991.
The papers of St Stanislaus College include information on a history of the area around Tullabeg, building and property (1912-2004), correspondence with Superiors (1881-1971), finance (1912-1990), documents on Jesuit training (1818-1962), retreat house (1949-1960) and artworks (1940-1991).
Material is in the form of letters, reports, architectural plans, notes, maps and photographs (1902-1990). Programmes for plays include Shrovetide at St. Stanislaus College, Tullamore; ‘The Man with the Iron Mask’, ‘All at Coventry’ and ‘The Smoked Miser’ (1885) and for ‘Caitlín Ní Uallacáin’ and ‘Cox and Box’ and details Jesuits who performed (1925).
UntitledBound volume containing book stamp of the Grand Jury Secretary's Office, Parsonstown (Birr), containing an abstract of presentments granted and queries respited and discharged at the Summer Assizes, 1893. Thomas Mitchell of Birr is listed as the grand jury's secretary.
UntitledInventory of silver and electro-plate at Rathrobin taken in 1907 for purposes of insurance by Lt Col. Middleton Westenra Biddulph of Rathrobin, Tullamore. Handwritten volume details household items from Biddulph's residence at Rathrobin House, often noting
the provenance of items e.g. "These were given to Vera on her wedding by Lord & Lady Armstrong".
Towards the end of the volume, there are handwritten notes on the Marsh and Biddulph family pedigree, as well as list of deeds, wills, and marriage settlements kept by Biddulph.
UntitledPresentment or 'Jobs' Books for the years 1830-1878 from two sets of bound volumes originally belonging to James Franck Rolleston, Franckfort Castle, Dunkerrin, and Henry Trench, Cangort Park, Shinrone, respectively, with some crossover. Also includes two coroner's inquest report books of James Dillon, King's County Coroner, and 27 printed general lists of jurors from the baronies of Ballyboy, Ballycowan, Garrycastle, Geashill, Kilcoursey, Moycashel, Lower Philipstown and Upper Philipstown.
UntitledLetterbook created by Reginald Digby recording letters received from the tenants’ association on the Geashill Estate in relation to the sale of lands by Lord Digby to the tenants under the Land Act of 1903. Includes his copy replies to the secretaries of the association, James Matthews and John Corcoran, and later James Chissell. Also includes copy letters from solicitor to the estate, Lewis Goodbody, who advises on proceedings with the Land Commission and letters from Fr. O’Beirne PP, acting as an intermediary between the estate and the tenants.
Includes a memo of a meeting between Lord Digby and a deputation from the tenants’ association on 30 September 1907, and the decision arrived at by the tenants at a further meeting in the Forester’s Hall, Tullamore, on 2 January 1908 to reject the terms of sale put forward by Lord Digby due to his decision not to cancel the hanging gale and remit a half year’s rent as requested by the tenants.
Also includes later newspaper cuttings concerning unrest on the Estate at the decision to sell untenanted lands to three land owners rather than distributed to small holders and evicted tenants. Cuttings also refer to the Geashill Cattle Drive of November 1914 and the subsequent court martial with James Rogers representing the forty-six arrested. Includes transcripts of James Rogers’ cross-examination of County Inspector Hubert William Crane. Also includes a loose printed catalogue of the auction of Geashill Castle’s contents to be held 22 March 1922.
UntitledMinute books, accounts ledgers, reports, workhouse registers, and ancillary material relating to the creation, administration, and eventual dissolution of Parsonstown Union from its establishment in May 1839 to its dissolution in 1925. The union’s Board of Guardians were responsible for overseeing several functions of local government; primarily the care of the poor, including the setting up, financing and running of the workhouse, the creation of dispensary districts, assisted migration and outdoor relief.
The main set of records are the minute books of the Boards of Guardians, comprising 97 volumes. Other material is financial in nature, such as the financial minute books and repayment of relief account book. Three registers of the Parsonstown (Birr) workhouse survive; 1842-1843, 1849-1850 and loose pages from a 1912 registers. As the Board of Guardians also oversaw the dispensary districts in the union, there is a ledger relating to their activities, as well as a copy of the lease for the Kinnitty dispensary residences.
Parsonstown Union’s area of operation covered 234 square miles from two counties: from Offaly (King’s County) – Banagher, Drumcullen, Eglish, Ferbane, Frankfort, Kilcoleman, Kinnety, Lemanagan, Letter, Lusmagh, Seirkyrans, Parsonstown, Shannon Bridge, Shannon Harbour and Tissarin. From County Tipperary – Aglishcloghane, Ballingarry, Dorha, Lockeen, Lorha and Uskeane.
Untitled6 Minute Books -
RRDC33/1/1: April 1899 - February 1901
RRDC33/1/2: March 1901 - May 1905
RRDC33/1/3: June 1905 - February 1908
RRDC33/1/4: March 1908 - January 1911
RRDC33/1/5: January 1911 - November 1913
RRDC33/1/6: December 1913 - March 1917
1 List of Meeting dates -
RRDC33/1/7: taken from RRDC33/1/1-6 Minute Books.
1 Printed Material item -
RRDC33/2: 1898. Featuring a 'Local Government (1) Act, 1898. Adjustments. Portion of the Poor Law Union of Roscrea situated in the King's Co. Order made... adjusting certain balances shown in the final account of the Guardians... before the Local Government (Ireland) Act, 1898, came into operation'.
1 Printed Material Poster -
RRDC33/3: 22 October 1911. Featuring a 'list of applications made by notice of motion for new works or involving new contracts for the quarter ended 31 September 1911, etc.'
1 Printed Material Notice -
RRDC33/4: 31 October 1912. Featuring a 'notice... to receive tenders... for works, 31 October, 1912'.