95 Archival description results for Killurin
95 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
- IE OCCHO DIGBY/A/12
Part of Digby Irish Estates
Annual report and rental for year end June 1868, containing details of the finances of the estate, and developments inn drainage, land improvement, waste farms, tillage, woods and plantations. Main drains were completed at Meelaghans and Ballinvally, and 'thoro' drains were completed at Ballyknockan, Ballymooney and Killurin. All the drainage schemes were entered into a competition offered by the Royal Agricultural Society of Ireland for best drained land. Discusses farming and the merits of various types of fertilizer: Dublin manure, woolen rags or bone-dust. Also reports on the construction of a movable 'Russian Village', as seen at the Paris Exhibition in 1867, for easily housing labourers as they move around to work on various parts of the estate.
Reports that a new building yard has been acquired next to the house of the architect, Thomas Mallinson, in Geashill Village, and also that a new machinery shed has been constructed to house the steam-engine, the threshing mill and other implements. In relation to repairs to tenants' houses, the report outlines there is much yet to be done, but that Lord Digby has won the gold medal from the RASI for repairs in the best manner for the greatest number of houses in Leinster. He was also awarded a bronze medal at the Paris Exhibition of 1867 for models of cottages exhibited.
Discussing the general condition of the estate, Trench notes that the 'slight stains of Fenianism have been washed away by time and people now look at it as a thing of the past.' He also notes the death of the 3rd Earl of Rosse, the Lord Lieutenant of King's County, 'celebrated for his monster telescope and scientific acquirements.' Appendix contains a copy letter from Thomas Mallinson, Geashill architect, to T. W. Trench, reporting on a visit to London to inspect the manufacture and use of concrete to build houses. Declines to recommend concrete-built houses for the Geashill estate due to the expense and the varied character of the houses.
- IE OCCHO DIGBY/A/16
Part of Digby Irish Estates
Annual report and rental for year end June 1872, reporting a very satisfactory financial situation and an overview of receipts and disbursements on the estate. Notes that drainage and land improvements continued but that there was an increased difficulty in sourcing labourers. Main drains were completed at Killurin and Gorteen, and a thorough drain was built at Bawnmore. Reports that sums were expended on extensive fencing and top-dressing of lands. The village inn was completely remodelled and 'now forms one of the most striking features of the village.' Also report that the woods and plantations were more profitable than usual with a large contract won for the supply of ash timber to a Liverpool merchant. Oak and larch plantations were established on the land between the River Clodiagh and the new embankment. Describes the general condition of the estate as 'most satisfactory' and entirely free from violence and lawlessness. Notes, however, that Mr Flanagan, a tenant, disputed the right of Lord Digby to his property but failed at his attempt in doing so.
Roskeen rentals are missing from this volume in order to combine the accounts of the Geashill and Roskeen estates into one. They will appear in subsequent annual reports. John Townsend Trench signs for his father, William S. Trench, who may have already passed away (August 1872) by the time the report was submitted.