- 1904-1933 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1 bound volume
Name of creator
The Presbyterian Church in Birr grew in numbers in the 1840s following the Crotty Schism. Fr William Crotty (with his cousin Fr Michael Crotty) led this breakaway Catholic congregation to join the Presbyterian Church. Crotty's Church built to emulate a Presbyterian Hall was erected in Castle Street in 1839. A new church building for the Presbyterian congregation was erected in 1885 in John's Mall, not now in use.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Book of transference certificates from the Presbyterian Church, Birr, with 33 receipt stubs listing members of the Birr congregation that have transferred to other congregations in Dublin, Belfast, and other areas. The certificates record the following information: 'The Presbyterian Church in Ireland Transference Certificate. It is hereby certified that X who leaves the congregation of X at this date is a member in the full communion of the church.' Receipt stubs record the destination congregation of transferring member.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
By appointment only. Contact Offaly Archives at [email protected]
Conditions governing reproduction
May be reproduced in accordance with provisions of the Copyright and Related Rights Act (2000). No reproduction online, in print or broadcast without the express permission of copyright holder.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
ISAD (G), 2nd Ed.
Dates of creation revision deletion
August 2019, Ciara O'Brien.
February 2021, revised, LS.