Showing 327 results

Archival description
Birr
Print preview View:

28 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Memoir 'Tullamore'

Memoir by Aloysius O'Brennan recounting the Tullamore Incident of 20 March1916 and the subsequent charges brought against 12 men in relation to the incident.

Letterbook 1916

Copies of approximately 1000 outgoing letters, averaging 1 per page. Good legibility.
Includes many references to the Tullamore 'affray' or Tullamore Incident, for example, letter to Tim M. Healy, M. P, House of Commons: '...I was immediately concerned with giving the facts in support of the point that the Competent Military Authority - Martial Law and the Defence of the Realm Regulations notwithstanding - noted without lawful authority in taking the prisoners out of Tullamore Gaol, that he has them illegally in his custody, and that the proposed trial by Court Martial will be illegal. ...It is entirely a case for a civil tribunal - for a jury; and on the evidence it is extremely unlikely that a jury anywhere would convict. It had not the most remote connection with the "Rising"; and to drag these men and boys before a Court of Military officers steeped in the atmosphere of the Insurrection and trotted out on the rebel stage a grave injustice - and is putting prisoners in serious danger.' (23 May 1916)

Scrapbook

Scrapbook of newspaper cuttings, culled from the 1966 Jubilee publication by The Midland Tribune and other newspapers. Mainly relates to Offaly's participation in the period 1914-1916, particularly focussing on the Tullamore Incident. Contains a 'Partial list of the Boys from Tullamore and its environs that took part in the Fight for Irish Freedom.' Also lists the 'pioneers of the first Gaelic Society in Tullamore: Patrick F. O'Loughlin, Donal O'Connor, Thomas Barry, Richard Barry, Gerald O'Loughlin, John Forrestal, Patrick McLoughlin, Hugh Digan, Denis Davin, Thomas Moroney, Harry Ruxton, Jospeh Aylemers and James Pyke.

O'Brennan, Alo

Records of Rogers & Co. Solicitors

  • IE OH OHS1
  • Fonds
  • 1911-1977

The collection consists of 54 bound volumes including letter books, client account ledgers, and cashbooks. The largest series is the letterbooks, which contain carbon copies of outgoing letters sent by Rogers & Co., Solicitors. It is not a full set, with letterbooks from 1916–26 and 1928–30 not extant. Other shorter gaps in the sequence also appear. All letterbooks contain an alphabetical surname index of clients. The rest of the collection is more financial in nature, consisting of series of cash ledgers, client account ledgers, cheques issued ledgers, a costs copying volume and a daybook recording daily work for current clients.

Rogers & Co., Solicitors

Memoirs of Alo and Maura O'Brennan

Two handwritten accounts relating to the background to the Easter Rising and the Tullamore Incident. The accounts were prepared by Aloysius O'Brennan for the 50 year commemorations in 1966. A further memoir on the events of Easter Week was written by Alo's [wife], Maura O'Brennan. Also includes a scrapbook of cuttings compiled in 1966 during the Jubilee commemorations of the 1916 Rising.

O'Brennan, Alo

Records of Offaly GAA

  • IE OH OHS46
  • Fonds
  • 1909-1980

Offaly Southern Committee GAA Minute Books 1912-1922 and 1923-1927
County Offaly GAA Minutes, 1917-1918
County Offaly GAA Accounts 1909-1936
North Offaly Minute Book 1918-1926
Tullamore GAA Club Minutes 1914-1918, 1918-1920, 1926-1929
Tullamore GAA Club Accounts 1966-1968; 1980

Tullamore GAA Club

St Stanislaus College, Tullabeg, Offaly

  • IE IJA FM/TULL
  • Fonds
  • 1818-2010

The Jesuits bought Tullabeg in 1818 (dedicated it to St Stanislaus) and opened a preparatory school for boys destined to go to Clongowes Wood College, Kildare. St Stanislaus College gradually developed as an educational rival to its sister school. It merged with Clongowes Wood College in 1886. Tullabeg then became a house of Jesuit formation: novitiate (1888-1930), juniorate (1895-1911), tertianship (1911-1927) and philosophate (1930-1962). In 1962, it was decided that the students of philosophy should be sent abroad for study. Tullabeg subsequently became a retreat house and was closed in May 1991.

The papers of St Stanislaus College include information on a history of the area around Tullabeg, building and property (1912-2004), correspondence with Superiors (1881-1971), finance (1912-1990), documents on Jesuit training (1818-1962), retreat house (1949-1960) and artworks (1940-1991).

Material is in the form of letters, reports, architectural plans, notes, maps and photographs (1902-1990). Programmes for plays include Shrovetide at St. Stanislaus College, Tullamore; ‘The Man with the Iron Mask’, ‘All at Coventry’ and ‘The Smoked Miser’ (1885) and for ‘Caitlín Ní Uallacáin’ and ‘Cox and Box’ and details Jesuits who performed (1925).

Society of Jesus

Copy of letter from James Rogers on Tullabeg land

Letter from James Rogers (of Rogers & Co. Solicitors), Tullamore, Offaly to Fr Donal O’ Sullivan SJ, Rector of St Stanislaus College, Tullabeg, Offaly concerning the ‘Tullabeg lands’ and deed of fransfer. There was no fee charged as the counsel, Mr Walter Callan B.L., had a brother who was a member of the English Jesuit Province and spent a year in Tullabeg, 'I would wish anything I can do to be a very trifling tribute to his memory'.

Rogers & Co., Solicitors

Annual Report 1881

Annual report, accounts and rental for year ending June 1881. Reports that the financial condition of the estate had disimproved, outstanding arrears remaining due and abandoned arrears considerably increased. Profit remitted was £8500, a decrease on previous years, although there was a net increase in the overall rental income. Also reports that the Roskeen lease was surrendered by the reps of Mr. Bailey, and that the farm at Ballydownan was surrendered by Mr Adams and now in Lord Digby's hands and set for grazing with newly purchased cattle.

In terms of land improvement, Digby reports on the completion of a number of Board of Works projects including the draining and squaring of the moors under Scrubb Wood, the deepening of the boundary stream at Cappancur and the sinking of a large main drain in Balinvally bog. Construction works included new offices for Mr Arthur of Killurin and Patrick Nugent of Ballycollin; new cottages completed at Killeigh; new cottage commenced in Geashill Village and assistance give to William Mathews to erect substantial new dwelling house in Killurin. Also reports on the thinning and replanting of Derrygunnigan Wood.

Warns that agrarian agitation is increasing encouraged by the Land League. Blames the Government for slow response to agitation. Reports on a 'monster meeting' held in Tullamore by the Land League prior to the winter collection of rents (1880) where the Geashill tenantry requested en masse Griffith's Valuation as a fair rent which was subsequently refused by Lord Digby, but who abated the rent by 10% on the half year's rent payable. Identifies William Adams as the leader of the agitation and describes the court proceedings taken against him individually. With the result of being faced with bankruptcy, Adams paid his rent and then surrendered farm at Ballydownan, with the result that all other agitation on the estate ceased and rents were collected within three weeks. Also refers to 'boycotting' occurring throughout the estate but that no acts of violence or outrages took place. A further attempt at withholding rent in May 1881 was similarly short-lived.

Results 1 to 10 of 327