Showing 337 results

Archival description
Birr
Print preview View:

30 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

O'Brennan Family Papers

  • IE OH OHS31
  • Collection
  • 1911-2015

Material relating to Tullamore Incident, March 1916 and the 1916 Rising from the family of Séamus O'Brennan and his brother Alo O' Brennan. Contains postcards, photographs, contemporary newspapers (1916-1917), memoirs, and commemorative newspapers (1966).

O'Brennan, Séamus

St Stanislaus College, Tullabeg, Offaly

  • IE IJA FM/TULL
  • Fonds
  • 1818-2010

The Jesuits bought Tullabeg in 1818 (dedicated it to St Stanislaus) and opened a preparatory school for boys destined to go to Clongowes Wood College, Kildare. St Stanislaus College gradually developed as an educational rival to its sister school. It merged with Clongowes Wood College in 1886. Tullabeg then became a house of Jesuit formation: novitiate (1888-1930), juniorate (1895-1911), tertianship (1911-1927) and philosophate (1930-1962). In 1962, it was decided that the students of philosophy should be sent abroad for study. Tullabeg subsequently became a retreat house and was closed in May 1991.

The papers of St Stanislaus College include information on a history of the area around Tullabeg, building and property (1912-2004), correspondence with Superiors (1881-1971), finance (1912-1990), documents on Jesuit training (1818-1962), retreat house (1949-1960) and artworks (1940-1991).

Material is in the form of letters, reports, architectural plans, notes, maps and photographs (1902-1990). Programmes for plays include Shrovetide at St. Stanislaus College, Tullamore; ‘The Man with the Iron Mask’, ‘All at Coventry’ and ‘The Smoked Miser’ (1885) and for ‘Caitlín Ní Uallacáin’ and ‘Cox and Box’ and details Jesuits who performed (1925).

Society of Jesus

Draft index to Birr town leases, prepared by Margaret Hogan

Draft index to Birr town leases, prepared in 2005 by Margaret Hogan. Properties are arranged by street and ordered chronologically within each street. The index (copies of which are included on a CD and diskette) also
gives the name, occupation, and other particulars about the lessees.

Leases of premises in Oxmantown Mall/Place

Three large folders of leases of premises in Oxmantown Mall/Place. This sub-section includes 14 files of papers relating to the sale of properties and fee farm grants in Oxmantown Mall to various purchasers.

Leases of premises in Mellsop/Townsend Street

Envelope of leases of premises in Mellsop Street, the last of them stating that it is now known as Townsend Street. [In date order.] The envelope also includes papers relating to the sale of Townsend Street fee farm grants to Michael Kearns
and Gerard and Evelyn Bell.

Leases of and papers related to premises in or near Main Street, Birr

Half-box of leases of premises in or near Main Street, also called ‘the street of Birr’ or ‘the town street’. This sub-section also includes papers relating to the sale of fee farm grants of Bowes’ Shop (purchased by Mary McLoughlin)
and Griffin’s Bakery (purchased by John and Arthur Joyce), both on Main Street.

Leases of premises in Castle Street

Box of leases of premises in Castle Street, including a lease and counterpart lease of ‘Crotty’s Church’, 1837 [see E/11], and papers relating to the sale of a Castle Street fee farm grant to the personal representatives of Claude Corcoran. The box also includes a large folder of correspondence about the Birr Trustee Company’s proposed purchase of Spinner’s
Bistro in Castle Street, which was eventually bought by another party.

Results 1 to 10 of 337