Tullybeg

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Tullybeg

Tullybeg

Equivalent terms

Tullybeg

  • UF Tullabeg

Associated terms

Tullybeg

369 Archival description results for Tullybeg

369 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Title deeds and legal documents to the foundation of Tullabeg

Title deeds and legal documents relating to the foundation of Tullabeg, and the selling of its lands by the Land Commission. Deeds returned to St. Stanislaus College in 1977 by John J. McDonald & Co., Solicitors. Includes schedule of deeds and documents. Item 1 and 12 on the schedule are missing. Deeds arranged in chronological order according to original (not copy) date.

John J. McDonald & Co., Solicitors

Miscellaneous material - burial, rules for confraternity, ode

Includes:
– list of Jesuits buried in the old Rahan cemetery (n.d., 2pp);
– letter to [the Rector] from John Molloy (building contractor) concerning the laying out of the grounds (29 January 1818, 1p.);
– ‘Rules for a Confraternity of the Sacred Heart. formed for the Scholars at Tullabeg, by the late Fr Patrick Meagher SJ, uncle to Thomas Francis Meagher - March 19 1833 written out by Hugh Gartlan of Dundalk’ (1833, 11pp);
_ Note on the Christmas plays of Tullabeg College, 1853 (2pp);
– printed copy of ‘Centennial Ode. St. Stanislaus College, 1918’ by Fr William Fortescue Power SJ (1918, 6pp) and
letter from Fr William Delany SJ to Mr Breen concerning a fire in a shoe store in Tullabeg (11 January [ ] ), 3pp);

Correspondence between Patrick Joseph Plunkett, Bishop of Meath and Maria O’Brien, Rahan Lodge, County Offaly

Letter from Patrick Joseph Plunkett, Bishop of Meath, Navan, Meath to Maria O’Brien, Rahan Lodge, County Offaly, regarding an invitation to Rahan Lodge in September 1818 (21 August 1818). Typed copy of a letter from Maria O’Brien, Rahan Lodge, County Offaly, (benefactress of Tullabeg) to the Bishop of Meath concerning the co-operation between the local clergy and the Jesuit fathers of Tullabeg (10 September 1818).

Plunkett; Patrick Joseph (1738-1827); Roman Catholic Bishop of Meath

Description of the new elementary school at Tullabeg

Copy of description of the new elementary school at Tullabeg under Fr Robert St. Leger SJ. Note how ‘Every care shall be taken to convey to their young minds the necessary knowledge, and to excite in their hearts, a sincere love of their moral and religious duties.’ Original in ADMN/10. See FM/TULL/15-20, 31.

St Stanislaus College, Tullabeg, Offaly

  • IE IJA FM/TULL
  • Fonds
  • 1818-2010

The Jesuits bought Tullabeg in 1818 (dedicated it to St Stanislaus) and opened a preparatory school for boys destined to go to Clongowes Wood College, Kildare. St Stanislaus College gradually developed as an educational rival to its sister school. It merged with Clongowes Wood College in 1886. Tullabeg then became a house of Jesuit formation: novitiate (1888-1930), juniorate (1895-1911), tertianship (1911-1927) and philosophate (1930-1962). In 1962, it was decided that the students of philosophy should be sent abroad for study. Tullabeg subsequently became a retreat house and was closed in May 1991.

The papers of St Stanislaus College include information on a history of the area around Tullabeg, building and property (1912-2004), correspondence with Superiors (1881-1971), finance (1912-1990), documents on Jesuit training (1818-1962), retreat house (1949-1960) and artworks (1940-1991).

Material is in the form of letters, reports, architectural plans, notes, maps and photographs (1902-1990). Programmes for plays include Shrovetide at St. Stanislaus College, Tullamore; ‘The Man with the Iron Mask’, ‘All at Coventry’ and ‘The Smoked Miser’ (1885) and for ‘Caitlín Ní Uallacáin’ and ‘Cox and Box’ and details Jesuits who performed (1925).

Society of Jesus

Research into boys named Conwell at Tullabeg

Covering letters from Brother Luke [ ], De La Salle Monastery, Muine Beag, county Carlow (1 March 1940), enclosing notes and copies of letters relating to the Conwell brothers, Eugene, Edward and Henry, who were at school at Tullabeg between 1831-1848.

Results 1 to 10 of 369