- IE OCCHO DIGBY/A/12
Part of Digby Irish Estates
Annual report and rental for year end June 1868, containing details of the finances of the estate, and developments inn drainage, land improvement, waste farms, tillage, woods and plantations. Main drains were completed at Meelaghans and Ballinvally, and 'thoro' drains were completed at Ballyknockan, Ballymooney and Killurin. All the drainage schemes were entered into a competition offered by the Royal Agricultural Society of Ireland for best drained land. Discusses farming and the merits of various types of fertilizer: Dublin manure, woolen rags or bone-dust. Also reports on the construction of a movable 'Russian Village', as seen at the Paris Exhibition in 1867, for easily housing labourers as they move around to work on various parts of the estate.
Reports that a new building yard has been acquired next to the house of the architect, Thomas Mallinson, in Geashill Village, and also that a new machinery shed has been constructed to house the steam-engine, the threshing mill and other implements. In relation to repairs to tenants' houses, the report outlines there is much yet to be done, but that Lord Digby has won the gold medal from the RASI for repairs in the best manner for the greatest number of houses in Leinster. He was also awarded a bronze medal at the Paris Exhibition of 1867 for models of cottages exhibited.
Discussing the general condition of the estate, Trench notes that the 'slight stains of Fenianism have been washed away by time and people now look at it as a thing of the past.' He also notes the death of the 3rd Earl of Rosse, the Lord Lieutenant of King's County, 'celebrated for his monster telescope and scientific acquirements.' Appendix contains a copy letter from Thomas Mallinson, Geashill architect, to T. W. Trench, reporting on a visit to London to inspect the manufacture and use of concrete to build houses. Declines to recommend concrete-built houses for the Geashill estate due to the expense and the varied character of the houses.