Ballycowan (Bar.)

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Ballycowan (Bar.)

Ballycowan (Bar.)

Equivalent terms

Ballycowan (Bar.)

Associated terms

Ballycowan (Bar.)

382 Archival description results for Ballycowan (Bar.)

8 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

DeRenzy Papers

  • IE OCL P50/9
  • Subfonds
  • 1630-1706

Legal agreements in the form of deeds and indentures relating to the Derenzy family’s title and interest in lands in the vicinity of Tinnycross, County Offaly. The earliest deed dating from 1630, records Sir Mathew de Renzi purchasing the townlands of Ballynashragh, Ballycosny, Tyrenehinan, Kilmore and Derry, all in the barony of Ballycowen, on behalf of his son Mathew DeRenzy, then at the bar in London. The vendor was Robert Branthwaite of London, who had been granted the land by letters patent of King James I. Further adjoining townlands of Rossnagouloge or Cappanure were purchased by Sir Mathew from Allen Jones in 1630, and the following year the adjacent townlands of Derrykilliagh and Kilbeg were purchased from Art McOwen O’Molloy. All were settled on his son, Mathew DeRenzy.
The bulk of the collection consists of numerous leases and mortgages raised against the land by Mathew DeRenzy between 1699 and 1703, while he lived at Cloghbemon in County Wexford. Later items in the collection relate to the sale of the lands to Reverend James Cox, Archdeacon of Ferns.

de Renzi, Sir Mathew

St Stanislaus College, Tullabeg, Offaly

  • IE IJA FM/TULL
  • Fonds
  • 1818-2010

The Jesuits bought Tullabeg in 1818 (dedicated it to St Stanislaus) and opened a preparatory school for boys destined to go to Clongowes Wood College, Kildare. St Stanislaus College gradually developed as an educational rival to its sister school. It merged with Clongowes Wood College in 1886. Tullabeg then became a house of Jesuit formation: novitiate (1888-1930), juniorate (1895-1911), tertianship (1911-1927) and philosophate (1930-1962). In 1962, it was decided that the students of philosophy should be sent abroad for study. Tullabeg subsequently became a retreat house and was closed in May 1991.

The papers of St Stanislaus College include information on a history of the area around Tullabeg, building and property (1912-2004), correspondence with Superiors (1881-1971), finance (1912-1990), documents on Jesuit training (1818-1962), retreat house (1949-1960) and artworks (1940-1991).

Material is in the form of letters, reports, architectural plans, notes, maps and photographs (1902-1990). Programmes for plays include Shrovetide at St. Stanislaus College, Tullamore; ‘The Man with the Iron Mask’, ‘All at Coventry’ and ‘The Smoked Miser’ (1885) and for ‘Caitlín Ní Uallacáin’ and ‘Cox and Box’ and details Jesuits who performed (1925).

Society of Jesus

Histories of St Stanislaus College, Tullabeg, Offaly

– brief history of ‘The College of St. Stanislaus (formerly “Tullabeg”)’ in an unknown nineteenth century hand (1860s, 4pp) and
– ‘Historia Collegii St.i. Stanislai Tulliolani in Hibernica per annos 1884 –5–6’ by Fr William Joseph Butler SJ (1 May 1886, 9pp).

Butler; William Joseph (1848-1907); Jesuit priest and teacher

Material compiled by Fr Roland Burke Savage SJ on Tullabeg origins

Material compiled by Fr Roland Burke Savage SJ relating to the origins of Tullabeg as a school for boys and a novitiate. Includes:
– typescript copies of summaries of replies to queries sent by Fr Burke Savage SJ to Fr Joseph Hurley SJ, House Historian, Tullabeg, comments on those replies and comparisons of the early history of the community, as depicted in Fr John Grene’s ‘A Contribution towards a History of The Irish Province of the Society of Jesus’; the Memorials of the Irish Province and Fr William Molony’s ‘Brief Notices’ of 1831
– notes on Frs Robert and John St Leger and on the original builder at Tullabeg (1955, 23pp)
– letter from Fr Burke Savage SJ to Fr Jerome Mahony SJ (19 November 1955, 3pp) on the ‘strong local tradition that we built Tullabeg’, enclosing copies of early letters relevant to the subject (21 April 1815 – 29 April 1817, 7 items, 9pp).

Burke Savage; Roland (1912-1998); Jesuit priest and editor

Title deeds and legal documents to the foundation of Tullabeg

Title deeds and legal documents relating to the foundation of Tullabeg, and the selling of its lands by the Land Commission. Deeds returned to St. Stanislaus College in 1977 by John J. McDonald & Co., Solicitors. Includes schedule of deeds and documents. Item 1 and 12 on the schedule are missing. Deeds arranged in chronological order according to original (not copy) date.

John J. McDonald & Co., Solicitors

Results 1 to 10 of 382