Ballycowan (Bar.)

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Ballycowan (Bar.)

Ballycowan (Bar.)

Equivalent terms

Ballycowan (Bar.)

Associated terms

Ballycowan (Bar.)

382 Archival description results for Ballycowan (Bar.)

8 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Papers of George and Toler R. Garvey Senior and Junior, land agents (ex Birr)

Letters and papers of the successive Rosse agents, George and Toler R. Garvey Senior and Junior, in their capacity as agents for other estates, mainly in King's County and Tipperary, 1840-1945.

King's County estates other than the Rosse estate include the Bannon estate at Broughall; the Bennett estate at Thomastown; Malone Barrett estate at Temora; Biddulph estate at Coolinariney; the Drought estate at Whigsboruogh; Hacektt estate of Moore Park, Birr; Kemmis estate at Coolnahely and other areas; King estate at Ballylin; Head estate at Derrylahen; Holmes estate at Moneygall; Mooney estate at The Doon; and the Piggott estate at Shragh.

Outside of King's County, the Garveys represented the Briscoe Eyre estate at Eyrecourt, Co Galway; Galbraith estate at and around Loughrea, Co Galway; Kingscote estate at Newport, Co. Tipperary; Holmes estate at Nenagh Co. Tipperary; Lodwick estate at Lisheen, Co Tipperary; Piggott estate at Dundrum, Co Down and Tincurry , Co Tipperary; Purser estate of Arborhill and Clonmona, Co Tipperary; and the Toler estate at and around Nenagh, Co. Tipperary.

Garvey, George

St Stanislaus College, Tullabeg, Offaly

  • IE IJA FM/TULL
  • Fonds
  • 1818-2010

The Jesuits bought Tullabeg in 1818 (dedicated it to St Stanislaus) and opened a preparatory school for boys destined to go to Clongowes Wood College, Kildare. St Stanislaus College gradually developed as an educational rival to its sister school. It merged with Clongowes Wood College in 1886. Tullabeg then became a house of Jesuit formation: novitiate (1888-1930), juniorate (1895-1911), tertianship (1911-1927) and philosophate (1930-1962). In 1962, it was decided that the students of philosophy should be sent abroad for study. Tullabeg subsequently became a retreat house and was closed in May 1991.

The papers of St Stanislaus College include information on a history of the area around Tullabeg, building and property (1912-2004), correspondence with Superiors (1881-1971), finance (1912-1990), documents on Jesuit training (1818-1962), retreat house (1949-1960) and artworks (1940-1991).

Material is in the form of letters, reports, architectural plans, notes, maps and photographs (1902-1990). Programmes for plays include Shrovetide at St. Stanislaus College, Tullamore; ‘The Man with the Iron Mask’, ‘All at Coventry’ and ‘The Smoked Miser’ (1885) and for ‘Caitlín Ní Uallacáin’ and ‘Cox and Box’ and details Jesuits who performed (1925).

Society of Jesus

Correspondence dealing with purchase of Tullabeg lands in the Land Commission Court

Correspondence dealing with the Jesuits’ purchase of Tullabeg lands in the Land Commission Court and the clearing of all claim for the Young Mortgage. Letters have been folded and their date and contents summarised on the outside of each folded packet. Some folded packets contain more than one letter.

Society of Jesus

Results 1 to 10 of 382