5 Archival description results for History
- IE BCA ROSSE/M/28
Part of The Rosse Papers
Papers about Birr Church of Ireland church and parish, including historical compilations of the rev. Dr Samuel Hemphill, Rector of Birr, covering the period 1612-1903. The compilations consist of a small quarto notebook containing MS. Copies of 1642 depositions concerning the neighbourhood of Birr; another containing a history of Birr Church of Ireland church (taken from vestry books, parish registers, etc), 1760-1903); and two succession lists of Birr incumbents, 1612-1912. The sub-section also includes a series of printed annual reports on the parish and on the diocese of Killaloe and Kilfenora, 1900-10.
Hemphill, Samuel, Reverend
- IE IJA FM/TULL/2
– brief history of ‘The College of St. Stanislaus (formerly “Tullabeg”)’ in an unknown nineteenth century hand (1860s, 4pp) and
– ‘Historia Collegii St.i. Stanislai Tulliolani in Hibernica per annos 1884 –5–6’ by Fr William Joseph Butler SJ (1 May 1886, 9pp).
Butler; William Joseph (1848-1907); Jesuit priest and teacher
- IE IJA FM/TULL/3
Material compiled by Fr Roland Burke Savage SJ relating to the origins of Tullabeg as a school for boys and a novitiate. Includes:
– typescript copies of summaries of replies to queries sent by Fr Burke Savage SJ to Fr Joseph Hurley SJ, House Historian, Tullabeg, comments on those replies and comparisons of the early history of the community, as depicted in Fr John Grene’s ‘A Contribution towards a History of The Irish Province of the Society of Jesus’; the Memorials of the Irish Province and Fr William Molony’s ‘Brief Notices’ of 1831
– notes on Frs Robert and John St Leger and on the original builder at Tullabeg (1955, 23pp)
– letter from Fr Burke Savage SJ to Fr Jerome Mahony SJ (19 November 1955, 3pp) on the ‘strong local tradition that we built Tullabeg’, enclosing copies of early letters relevant to the subject (21 April 1815 – 29 April 1817, 7 items, 9pp).
Burke Savage; Roland (1912-1998); Jesuit priest and editor
- IE IJA FM/TULL/4
- 8-15 June 1968
Booklet containing cuttings from the Offaly Independent, mostly recording the history of the house, compiled by Fr Francis Finegan SJ.
Finegan; Francis (1907-2009); Jesuit priest and historian